The goal of this site is to find as many kinds of mac n' cheese as possible and try them so you don't have to! Stove-top, frozen, quick prepare (just add water), home made and anything served in a restaurant are all fair game! If it's name has macaroni n' cheese in it, I'm trying it.

My hope is that this blog will help you discover new varieties to try (and to avoid) or that killer home made recipe that is worth the work to make yourself.

When I'm not collecting video games, I'm eatin' mac n' cheese. Thanks for following me on this journey as I see what it takes to make me bleed cheese.

Friday, August 24, 2012

The Return Of The Cheeze

I'm an equal opportunity mac n' cheese eater.  I'd hope that has come across by now and even if I've had one bad variety of mac by a company, that if the same company makes another variety it'll get the same unbiased shot as it's relative(s) did when it was prepared.   I've marched from one tray to the next for all the Amy's Kitchen varieties that I've come across thus far and each tray has left me far from impressed.

I didn't create this blog to review bad mac n' cheese.  It was created with the mindset that because there are so many varieties that there have to be some great ones out there and maybe I can do some funny writing on this journey of discovery.   I REALLY want to eat good mac n' cheese.  Bad mac's may lead to funnier reviews, but they don't lead to full stomachs.

Today's review is for the fourth (and final as far as I can tell) variety.  Did Amy fare any better this trip through the microwave?

The Review

Brand:
Amy's Kitchen Macaroni & Soy Cheeze
O.K. Amy's, we've not had the best relationship so far, but I'm not letting that dissuade me from giving you ANOTHER chance.  Don't let me down!


Price:
$5.99 at Whole Foods

Packaging Description:
(On Front)
Cholesterol Free - Lactose Free, Made with Organic Pasta

(On Back)
Our daughter Amy loves Macaroni and Cheese, but some of her friends can't eat it - they are "lactose intolerant". So for those people and others who prefer a cheese alternative made from soy, we worked hard to develop the first Macaroni and Soy Cheeze. In this nutritious pasta dish, we use 100% organic macaroni in a smooth light sauce made with cheddar style soy cheeze.  We're sure you're going to enjoy this delicious convenient meal from Amy's Kitchen.

Preparation:

* Remove the tray from the packaging. 

Hello Newman....
*Remove the plastic wrap from the tray and cook in the microwave for three minutes.
*After you've removed the tray from the microwave, take a fork and mix up the mac to break up the cold/frozen clumps.

That's three minutes and stirred up and not surprisingly, it looks like every other Amy's mac I've made so far.


*Place back in the microwave and cook for an additional three minutes.
*Let the meal cool for one to two minutes.
Cooked, cooled and waiting for a final mixing. 

*Give it one final stir.
*Commence with the nomming!


Taste:
This, like the Non-Dairy Cheeze mac, came out of the microwave with an interesting smell that wasn't quite right (well right when compared to a dairy based mac n' cheese meal).  The noodles like all other Amy's meals are gummy and overdone.  The sauce was very sticky and while it was better than the non-dairy cheeze, it wasn't very good.  Letting this meal sit a few minutes and it will begin to form into a rock, and that didn't help it either.

Final Score:
Amy, Amy Amy... Now I know that you can have vegan mac n' cheeses not taste horrible.  I've had it at homeroom.  It exists, but you've yet to unlock it.  Another mac with gummy noodles (I guess consistency is a good thing?) and a less than appetizing sauce.  At least they are consistant.  The noodles come out the same across all their meals.  The sauce (even if it's vegan or not) comes out consistancy wise almost the same and every one i've tried hasn't been very good.  I'll admit that they either think they have a winner, or that there are enough people who keep buying it regardless of what I say.  One day i'll carry weight in the high dollar mac n' cheese industry... one day.




Nutritional Information:
Serving Size 1 Entree (255g)
Servings Per Container: 1

Calories  370  Calories From Fat 130
Total Fat 15g (23% Daily Value)
Saturated Fat 2g (10% DV)
Trans Fat 0g (0% DV) 
Cholesterol 0mg (0% DV)
Sodium 500mg (21% DV)
Total Carbohydrates 42g (14% DV)
Dietary Fiber 4g (16% DV)
Sugar 2g
Protein 16g

No comments:

Post a Comment