The goal of this site is to find as many kinds of mac n' cheese as possible and try them so you don't have to! Stove-top, frozen, quick prepare (just add water), home made and anything served in a restaurant are all fair game! If it's name has macaroni n' cheese in it, I'm trying it.

My hope is that this blog will help you discover new varieties to try (and to avoid) or that killer home made recipe that is worth the work to make yourself.

When I'm not collecting video games, I'm eatin' mac n' cheese. Thanks for following me on this journey as I see what it takes to make me bleed cheese.

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Mac For The Friendly Skies

The airport is one of the best business rackets in our society. Don't allow people to bring in foods or beverages and then not allow them to leave. A trapped consumer now gets to pay a huge premium for the same goods that are half the price outside of the airport. America, gotta love it!

I recently went to Vegas for a convention and as we sat and waited for our flight home, we got hungry and wanted dinner. I noticed there was a food court as we headed towards our gate so I went back to score some overpriced fast food. One of the restaurants had a huge picture of Mac n' cheese on their big light up menu... I knew what I was having for dinner!


The Review

Brand:
Villa Pizza's Mac & Cheese
I had never heard of Villa before, but if you know Sbarro's, then you're in the same ball park.



Price:
$3.59 for a small, $6.99 for a large at McCarran Airport's C Section in Terminal 1

Preparation:
*Find a reason to fly to or out of Las Vegas (preferably one that doesn't make you gamble away your life savings)

*Get thee to the food court in Terminal 1.

*Stand in long line for a long time waiting to place your order.

*Once it's your turn, tell the nice food server that you would like an order of mac n' cheese. Don't forget to designate a size!
Don't try to order American Classico.  I did, she gave me a WTF are you talking about look.

*Watch them scoop it into the bowl and then make it disappear under the counter.
Trying to inconspicuously take pictures while in line is much easier when using a smart phone.  Really ma'am, I'm just playing Angry Birds!

*Once it comes back up for air, slide down to the cashier and pay for the bowl.
Oh mac, trapped in your plastic cage.  Don't worry, I'll release you!

*Find a seat.  You could sit in the food court or you could head back towards your gate and sit there. I know, such exciting choices, but one you'll have to make.  

*Pop off that plastic lid
Why yes that triangle box underneath is a piece of pizza.  No I wasn't trying to be a pig, but if this meal sucked, I wasn't about to eat more of it that was necessary to be able to review it for the blog.

*Commence with the nomming!

Taste:
At the food court, I couldn't really smell the mac.  That wasn't unexpected because in a space the size of a studio apartment I was getting competing aromatics from a Popeye's Chicken and Wendy's, not to mention the pizza and other things they sold at Villa.  The mac was a bit oily and most didn't taste very cheesy. The parts that did taste cheesy at least had a cheddar taste. The big spiral noodles weren't overcooked and were nice and firm. I discovered a glob of melted cheese at the bottom, which looked and tasted like mozzarella. 


Final Score:
I wasn't expecting much from a mac that had been sitting in a warming tray that had then been dropped into a microwave below the counter and heated up. It was way too oily, not very cheesy and should only be an option if you really, REALLY, REALLY need some mac n' cheese when you're at the Vegas airport. The bonus mozzarella, if at the top would have helped the dish, but it was too little too late, because I had already stopped eating it by the time I found it at the bottom of the bowl.  Toss the 4 bucks you would have spent on the side dish into a slot machine.  You may have a better outcome.





 




Nutritional Information:
They didn't have any pamphlets at the register in the holster and I can't seem to find them online to see if they list anything there. 



No comments:

Post a Comment