The goal of this site is to find as many kinds of mac n' cheese as possible and try them so you don't have to! Stove-top, frozen, quick prepare (just add water), home made and anything served in a restaurant are all fair game! If it's name has macaroni n' cheese in it, I'm trying it.

My hope is that this blog will help you discover new varieties to try (and to avoid) or that killer home made recipe that is worth the work to make yourself.

When I'm not collecting video games, I'm eatin' mac n' cheese. Thanks for following me on this journey as I see what it takes to make me bleed cheese.

Thursday, August 2, 2012

The C in KFC Stands For Cheese Right?

Fast food restaurants haven't seemed to really pick up on America's meal.  Maybe it's because it's very hard to fresh prepare quickly or maybe the cost to have ones that just need to be heated are just too high and the profit margins too low.  America's biggest chicken chain KFC however knows that fried chicken really benefits from a mac n' cheese side dish (and mac n' cheese with a breaded chicken is quite tasty) and as such they've provided an option for hungry Americans for years.

The Review


Product:
KFC's Macaroni and Cheese

Staring at this mac n' cheese for too long will lead to blindness.  The orange of it is just so damn (unnaturally) bright!


Price:
$1.79 (Individual size)

Smalls now come in these little plastic containers.  They used to come in Styrofoam ones.  Large sides (at least at my local KFC) are still served in Styrofoam containers.
Packaging Description:
None

Preparation:
*Get thee to a KFC
Here's one!  This is a KFC/A&W.  They also serve burgers, hot dogs and cheese curds in addition to KFC's chicken. Sweet sweet cheese curds. *drool*

*Wait in line to place your order.

Cole Slaw? Bleech! Give me that mac!
*So many ways to get the mac n' cheese, you could order a bucket meal and get this as a side or you could just order this and other individual items like I did.  Popcorn chicken FTW!
The mac hides in there, just in case someone wants to sneak in and burgle mac n' cheese.

*Pay that clerk!
*Wait for your name to be called and collect your food.  Either eat it there or at home, KFC travels surprisingly well for fast food.
*Take out your provided spork.
The Spork, one of man's greatest inventions!

*Commence with the nomming!

Taste:
Popping the lid off the container you don't really get much of a cheesy smell.  The mac because it sits in a warmer tray (already doled out into large and small containers) is overcooked.  There isn't much in the way of firmness to the noodles, though they don't dissolve in your mouth like some other macs I've had.  This had a taste, but it wasn't very cheesy and what it did taste like was salty with a twang of artificial cheese.
I didn't bother asking how long the mac had been sitting in the warming tray (and they can only stay in the tray for a few hours per food safety laws) as the cashier had already asked me multiple times if it was OK that I waited a whole 5 minutes for popcorn chicken.  He was pretty anxious about making sure I was fine with my wait time (a number of recent customers he explained had been very not OK waiting 5 minutes for fresh chicken) and I figured if I asked him how it was made that he would freak out that I was going to be one of those customers.

Final Score:
I've seen some interesting shades of orange trying out all these different kinds of mac n' cheese.  I however haven't seen one that bright and unnatural.  It's very disturbing how bright it really is.  It's something I could see given out to everyone at AT&T Park on a Friday night Giants game to go with the Orange Friday theme.  Just spill some on their home creme jerseys and those sitting around you would think that you were sporting an orange jersey. I've had a few coworkers want to know when I was going to try such a good mac n' cheese like KFC's.  It was far from it. 




















Nutritional Information:
Serving Size 135g  Servings Per Container ???

Calories 160   Calories From Fat 70
Total Fat 7g
Saturated Fat 2.5g
Trans Fat 0g 
Cholesterol 5mg
Sodium 720mg

Total Carbohydrates 19g
Dietary Fiber 1g
Sugar 2g
Protein 5g

No comments:

Post a Comment