The goal of this site is to find as many kinds of mac n' cheese as possible and try them so you don't have to! Stove-top, frozen, quick prepare (just add water), home made and anything served in a restaurant are all fair game! If it's name has macaroni n' cheese in it, I'm trying it.

My hope is that this blog will help you discover new varieties to try (and to avoid) or that killer home made recipe that is worth the work to make yourself.

When I'm not collecting video games, I'm eatin' mac n' cheese. Thanks for following me on this journey as I see what it takes to make me bleed cheese.

Monday, July 9, 2012

The Most Expensive Mac N' Cheese I've Ever Had

Last week we went to the Alameda County Fair and I tried to get some fried mac n' cheese (on a stick!).  I was unsuccessful. Yesterday after dinner, we decided that it was probably the last good time to try again before the fair closed on Sunday. 
The weather was great, a few friends were at the fair already and though I had forgotten, it was also fireworks night.  My friend who was already at the fair, had taken a pic of some mac n' cheese on a stick  and had messaged it to me. Her success left me feeling pretty confident that I was going to get to experience what should be heavenly fair food.  Once we got into the fair, we went back to the booth that had so ungraciously scorned me last week, only to find out that they were once again (or still?) out of mac n' cheese.
Hello good sir, can I have some fried mac n' cheese?  NO CHEESE FOR YOU!

After hunting down my friend and telling her of the sorrow I was one again subject to, she said that she had found a different booth that was also selling mac n' cheese and the picture she sent me was from that booth.  We worked our way over to this second booth to lay waste to the bounty they had in store.


The Review

Brand:
Uh.... Brick of Fries Macaroni & Cheese on-a-stick???
There was no official name of the place that I could find but their specialty is curly fries.  Just look for the mac & cheese sign on the right side of the place.  You can't miss it (though we did twice).

While waiting for our mac n' cheese, I saw something like four or five orders of curly fries go out.  Their curly fries are not seasoned curly fries :(
The brick of fries?  A whole fry basket packed with fresh potatoes that have just been turned into curly fries.  A WHOLE FREAKING BASKET.  The damn thing actually looked like a brick when it's served up.

Price:
$65.00*
*$10 for parking, $20 for entrance (for 2) to the fair x 2 +$5.00 for the fried mac n' cheese on a stick = $65.00

I looked up and down this menu and still couldn't find mac n' cheese, so it must be a secret menu item, but the big signs advertising it let you know you're at the right place. 
Packaging Description:
N/A

Preparation:
*Get thee to the fair.
*Walk through the fair until you find a booth selling (or purporting to sell) fried mac n' cheese.
Screw nachos and chicken.  We're here for mac n' cheese!
*Wait in line.
*Order it and any other artery cloggers one may be overcome by while waiting in line.
I don't know what any of these things are, but I'm pretty sure one was the fried bacon (far right below the big blobs), and some of the other things are fried pickles.  I wanted to see what the cheeseburger looked like but I didn't feel like ordering or asking.
*Move over to the pick up window after you've paid the cashier.
Just to the right of the register is this smaller fryer.  I know my mac n' cheese came out of it and I'm pretty sure that stick you see is my mac getting fried up.
*Speak up when your meal is called out.
*Let it sit for a minute or two.  This just came out of a hot fryer.
I may look like a corn dog, but I'm full of mac n' cheese.
*Commence with the nomming!

Taste:
The corn meal coating sealed off any smell that the mac n' cheese might let off and all it smelled like was a freshly cooked corn dog.  The first bite was all batter and it was quite sweet.

One bite in.  I see you mac and cheese!
A few more bites and I finally got to the cheese.  It was a mixture of white and yellow cheeses, but there still wasn't much flavor to be found.  It really felt like eating a sweet pancake with something hot, gooey and flavorless inside.  I don't even think that I ever got to any noodles before I had an unexpected accident with it and sent the remnants to the trash.
This picture was taken seconds before I was prematurely done with by dropping the whole thing on the ground.  If I had taken a picture of it laying on the ground, I would have had a HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE GROUND caption for it. Alas, I didn't think of it until I had already thrown it in the garbage.

Final Score:
I don't know why I was surprised that I was getting what looks like Hot Dog on a Stick's Cheese on a Stick, but I was.  I guess I was expecting the fried cheese like I've had at restaurants in the past (TGI Friday's) or the Market Pantry's breaded kind of fried mac n' cheese.  I only had two or three bites, and one bite was had by two others with me to see why I had such a strange look on my face, who then themselves had the same strange look.  I'm sad that I ended up spending so much to end up getting something so unrewarding.  Save yourself the calories and go get some fried Twinkies or Oreos.









Nutritional Information:
Seriously, why are you even reading this?  It's fair food.  90% of the fine cuisine served up at a fair is fried and huge.  This isn't healthy.  It doesn't pretend to be and if you're passing this up, you're grabbing a funnel cake, fried Twinkies, fried Oreos or even fried watermelon instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment