The goal of this site is to find as many kinds of mac n' cheese as possible and try them so you don't have to! Stove-top, frozen, quick prepare (just add water), home made and anything served in a restaurant are all fair game! If it's name has macaroni n' cheese in it, I'm trying it.

My hope is that this blog will help you discover new varieties to try (and to avoid) or that killer home made recipe that is worth the work to make yourself.

When I'm not collecting video games, I'm eatin' mac n' cheese. Thanks for following me on this journey as I see what it takes to make me bleed cheese.

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Doctorate Degree Not Required For Cooking

I've already mentioned that restaurants have invaded the frozen foods aisle with their inspired dishes. But todays meal is a rarity.  The restaurant that 'inspired' this meal is now mostly no more (I was under the impression that the entire chain had folded last year, however only 31 of their stores did).  Marie Callenders was quite well known in California and I ate there a number of times when I was little (and hated it if stories I remember are correct).  Marie Callendars is one of those restaurant chains that does pies (for desert and pickup year round) and homestyle dinners much like Bakers Square and Coco's. 

The last times I remember eating at a Marie Callenders was with a roommate who discovered their frozen meals when I was still at SJSU around 02-03 and was floored to discover that they had restaurants out there serving their food as well.  I took him to the Milpitas, CA location and we ate there I think twice that week, it was that enjoyed (I didn't go back, but he did for a while longer).  I also ate at one in San Ramon sometime in 07 or 08 with the wife.  I wasn't sad when the chain died and the restaurant eating public wasn't either as Marie Callendars were losing money like gangbusters.  How the chain shut down some of the stores was shocking, as they shut down mid servicewith people in the dining room eating dinner and employees and customers alike were all kicked out and the doors locked. 

Marie Callenders was one of the earlier chains that licensed their name to shelf stable (thanks for that awesome name wikipedia!) and frozen foods.  This portion of their business has been by far the more successful part and though the restaurant has become a regional one the frozen meals are nationally distributed.

The Review

Brand:
Marie Callender's Smoky Cheddar Mac & Uncured Bacon

Mac + cheese + BACON?!?  We may have a winner here.

Price:
$3.90 at Safeway (on sale for $3.00)

Packaging Description:
(On Front)
Naturally hickory smoked uncured bacon with cavatappi pasta and scallions
Fresh Flavor Steamer

(On Back)
Fresh Flavor Steamer: Marie's uniquely designed Fresh Flavor Steamer - food in the top and sauce in the bottom - just stir the sauce into the perfectly steamed pasta, rice or vegetables for a meal bursting with flavor.

Fresh Varieties!
Try all of the fresh flavors inspired by your favorite recipes from around the globe.  Find out more at www.mariecallendarmeals.com

Preparation:
*Take the bowl out of the box.
*Place the into the microwave and cook for 3:30 to 4 minutes.  Do not puncture or remove the plastic film covering the bowl.  I split the difference and cooked the meal for 3:45
*Remove the bowl from the microwave and remove the film from the top.
Just out of the microwave, I was unsure how a steamer tray that had no ventilation would work, but it stayed sealed and cooked itself thanks to the power of magic.
*Pull out the steamer tray with the noodles, bacon pieces and scallions being careful as it may be steaming/hot.
Some of the cheese sauce worked it's way into the steamer during cooking.
*Dump the noodles, bacon pieces and scallions into the base bowl with the cheese sauce and mix them up.
Steamer emptied, mac mixed up and ready to get in mah belly.
*Commence with the nomming!

Taste:
Pulling this out of the microwave I didn't smell anything.  I was a little concerned at first as this was supposed to be some kind of steam tray and one would expect that it would have steamed and vented as it cooked.  Peeling the cover off I got that lovely bacon smell and a hint of onion (thanks to the scallions).  The noodles were nice and firm and held cheese sauce well.  The sauce has a smooth texture and a nice cheesy taste.  The ingredients said it was American cheese, but it didn't taste like that (which is good).  The whole meal was a little salty, but that was due in part to the bacon.  Though personally a fan of more crunchy bacon, it was still quite good bacon.  I felt that the scallions were a bit much but it's probably because I'm not a big onion fan.


Final Score:
I was pleasantly surprised.  The other Marie Callendars meals I've had in the past, be them the shelf stable (love that word!) or frozen require an incredibly large number of steps to prepare.  Most of them are annoying enough that after that first making I've sworn off keeping them around as an emergency meal of some kind.  I was very happy that this was just a simple place in microwave and leave it be.  Not a detraction (unless it spills on you) but the noodles were quite large.  Not sure why and I don't think they needed to be so big and ones half the size would work just as well.  I am not the food scientist that decides such things. 

This is the first meal I've reviewed with some form of real meat with the mac n' cheese.  It was a nice touch, though it did make the meal a seem a bit saltier (though still less salty than some other meals I've reviewed) and seemed to push up the fats (though again, to the levels that some of the other meals I've reviewed). 










Nutritional Information:
Serving Size 1 Meal (241g)

Calories  380  Calories From Fat 170
Total Fat 19g (29% Daily Value)
Saturated Fat 7g (35% DV)
Trans Fat 0g (0% DV) 
Cholesterol 35mg (12% DV)
Sodium 840mg (35% DV)
Potassium 160mg (5% DV)
Total Carbohydrates 36g (12% DV)
Dietary Fiber 4g (16% DV)
Sugar 3g
Protein 15g

No comments:

Post a Comment