The goal of this site is to find as many kinds of mac n' cheese as possible and try them so you don't have to! Stove-top, frozen, quick prepare (just add water), home made and anything served in a restaurant are all fair game! If it's name has macaroni n' cheese in it, I'm trying it.

My hope is that this blog will help you discover new varieties to try (and to avoid) or that killer home made recipe that is worth the work to make yourself.

When I'm not collecting video games, I'm eatin' mac n' cheese. Thanks for following me on this journey as I see what it takes to make me bleed cheese.

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Mac n' .... Chips?!?

When I first got the idea for this blog I went out and spent a good $30 on different mac n' cheese meals.  While wandering through my local Target, eying the many kinds of things i'd soon be tossing into my stomach I noticed something that seemed very out of place in the snack aisle... mac n' cheese.

Target's got a number of store brands and their major brand, Archer Farms, has numerous lines of snacks and fancier food stuffs.  Sitting there on the shelf next to their baked line of chips was a number of thick cut wavy chips.  One flavor stood out.  Macaroni & Cheese.  How exactly these are naturally flavored, when mac & cheese isn't really a flavor (though I did envision that there are chefs in the Archer Farms chip factory tossing premium mac & cheese into blenders and then drying it to have it sprayed on these chips did make me giggle) could make some worry, but I'm not doing this to nit-pick packaging claims.  Being afraid of buying a big ~10oz bag I was lucky enough to find smaller 1.5oz single serve bags. 



The Review

Brand:
Archer Farm's Macaroni & Cheese Thick Cut Potato chips

Cost:
$0.89 at Target

Packaging Description:
'Enjoy the ultimate comfort food - in a chip.  We start with thick, hearty slices of crinkle-cut potatoes cooked to a crisp and then seasoned to perfection with the flavors of pasta, rich, creamy cheese and butter.  Enjoy - and remember to treat yourself to all our other gourmet flavors of Archer Farms potato chips.'

Taste:
These chips are your standard thick cut ridged chip.  Not quite like Frito Lay's Ruffles, but more like their Wavy Lays kind.  The chips are quite oily (not just to the touch but permeated through out the chip) and only kinda cheesy.  Most importantly, they don't really make me think of mac & cheese when I'm eating them.  Be it a boxed kind or a good home made variety.  They've got a very starchy taste to them and if you can think of a cheddar and sour cream chip minus the zing you're on the right track.


Final Score:
The taste is underwhelming, these are quite oily and so not worth the calories.










Nutritional Facts:
In general, snacks like these are measured in 1oz servings (stick your hand into a bag/box, grab what you can and 95% of the time what you pull out is right at that 1oz serving size).  This bag is a bit bigger at 1.5 oz so the damage is a bit worse.

Calories 220   Calories from fat 130

Total Fat 14g  (22% Daily Value)
Saturated Fat 3g  (15% DV)
Trans Fat 0g  (0% DV)
Cholesterol 0mg  (0% DV)
Sodium 370mg (16% DV)
Total Carbohydrates 22g  (7% DV)
Dietary Fiber 1g  (1% DV)
Sugars 2g
Protein 3g



**Editors Note**
These chips as you can see in the first picture were well over a year past expiration.  I however have had these 'fresh' prior to this review.  Not only did they not taste any better, these ones that are 17 months past their best by date tasted no different.  The power of preservatives!

No comments:

Post a Comment