The goal of this site is to find as many kinds of mac n' cheese as possible and try them so you don't have to! Stove-top, frozen, quick prepare (just add water), home made and anything served in a restaurant are all fair game! If it's name has macaroni n' cheese in it, I'm trying it.

My hope is that this blog will help you discover new varieties to try (and to avoid) or that killer home made recipe that is worth the work to make yourself.

When I'm not collecting video games, I'm eatin' mac n' cheese. Thanks for following me on this journey as I see what it takes to make me bleed cheese.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

If At First You Don't Succeed... Try Another Mac

Just a week ago I partook in my first vegan mac n' cheese meal.  We all know it didn't go over well.  Well Amy's Kitchen has a few other varieties and I figured why not give a more regular kind a shot.  I am will be a glutton for mac n' punishment.

The Review

Brand:
Amy's Kitchen Macaroni & Cheese Made With Organic Pasta

Price:

$3.49 at Safeway

Packaging Description:
Amy loves pasta - and the rest of us do too.  So Amy's Kitchen began to search for a nutritious pasta dish that, like our pot pies, would be easy to prepare and popular with both children and adults.  We decided on another traditional favorite, Macaroni and Cheese made with 100% organic macaroni in a smooth cheese sauce.  We're sure you're going to enjoy this delicious, nutritious and convenient meal from Amy's Kitchen.

Preparation:
*Take the tray out of the box and remove the plastic wrap.


*Put the tray in the microwave and cook uncovered for 4 minutes.
*Pull it out and mix it up with a fork.  Like the vegan option, the center will still be semi heated and will need to be mixed to heat all the way through.
Once again I forgot to take a picture of this before I mixed it up.  The center looks frozen still, but a bit of mixing and it looks like it should.
*Put it back in the microwave and cook for an additional two to three minutes.  I split the difference and cooked it for an additional 2:30.
*The instructions don't say anything else, but I still say to let this sit for a minute or two.  I've learned that It's best to do that when it comes to hot, semi liquidy foods that come from the microwave.  Your tongue and mouth appreciate not being burned.
*Commence with the nomming!

Taste:
Like with the Eating Right Mac N' Cheese there was a bit of grittyness with the cheese sauce for the first few bites.  After that it solidified a bit more and was much better through out.  It was cheesy but the noodles felt a little chewy.  Due to the very long cooking times there were a few portions of the meal that had cheese sauce that was a bit 'well done'.  It didn't really change the taste of it, but I'd venture that if this got cooked a little too long that it wouldn't be very good.


 
Final Score:
Once this cooled down a little bit more, the cheese sauce solidified nicely and the meal ended up being pretty decent.  This wasn't an amazing meal but this was pretty good for being a frozen option.  Looking over the nutritional info it looks like they didn't skimp with the cheese, so be careful with other meals for the day as this packs half your daily saturated fat recommendation.  All in all a much better second trip to Amy's Kitchen.











Nutritional Facts:

Serving Size 1 Entree (255g)  Servings Per Container 1

Calories  410  Calories From Fat 140
Total Fat 16g (25% Daily Value)
Saturated Fat 10g (48% DV)
Trans Fat 0g (0% DV)
Cholesterol 40mg (13% DV)
Sodium 590mg (25% DV)
Total Carbohydrates 47g (16% DV)
Dietary Fiber 3g (12% DV)
Sugar 6g
Protein 16g (38% DV)

1 comment:

  1. Please, redo this review. I swear they have changed the recipe or something because the last few times I've had it tastes different and weird. Like, kind of metallic. Maybe my taste buds have mutated and warped recently, maybe my local store got a bad batch, or maybe they've started substituting liquid copper for cheese, I don't know, but I must have answers and I believe you are the man that can help me get answers.

    ReplyDelete