The goal of this site is to find as many kinds of mac n' cheese as possible and try them so you don't have to! Stove-top, frozen, quick prepare (just add water), home made and anything served in a restaurant are all fair game! If it's name has macaroni n' cheese in it, I'm trying it.

My hope is that this blog will help you discover new varieties to try (and to avoid) or that killer home made recipe that is worth the work to make yourself.

When I'm not collecting video games, I'm eatin' mac n' cheese. Thanks for following me on this journey as I see what it takes to make me bleed cheese.

Friday, June 15, 2012

...And That's When He Finally Cracked

The original idea for this blog came to me about two years ago, when I had decided to make a quick mac n' cheese for lunch.  The meal required quite a bit of work to make and it had quite an interesting smell.  Two coworkers came in just as I started to make it and a conversation was struck about how that sure was an interesting smell and why in the blue blazes I was even eating it.  I of course had to chime up that I had other kinds at my desk and I figured it could be fun to try a few different kinds and that I never eat that stuff.  Soon after I had bought frozen ones and was trying all kinds.  By then I decided I should start a blog, bought a domain and then did nothing. For two years.  Well it's been two weeks and I've got friends looking for regional kinds, recipes being sent to me to try and a stash that will last me two weeks at my current stock of mac n' cheese.

Why bring this all up?  I had the meal that started it all for lunch today.  The meal that gave me the crazy idea to do this.  Here is it's review.

The Review

Brand:
Archer Farms Homestyle Five Cheese Macaroni Lunch Bowl

Price:
$2.39

Packaging Description:
None

Preparation:
*Take the paper cover off the bowl.
*Take the lid off the bowl and remove all the packages inside (noodles, breadcrumbs and cheese powder).
*Fill the bowl to the line with water.
*Find the pouch that says cheese powder, open it and add it to the water.
Stir me up, Scotty!
*Mix the powder and the water until you've gotten rid of the clumps.  This will take a few minutes with a fork.  I'm not sure of any utensil that would do it any faster without spilling half of the 'sauce' onto the counter.
All stirred up.  The green is parsley or oregano.  It really doesn't show up once this is cooked.

*Once the saucy water is mixed up add the noodles and stir them a few times.
I see you noodles!
*Pop in the microwave and cook for six minutes and thirty seconds.
*Once it's cooked, take it out of the microwave, stir it a few times and let it sit to solidify.
*Open the final packet that contains the bread crumbs and sprinkle on top of the pasta.
As I mention below, not very saucy...
*Commence with the nomming!

Taste:
Right off the bat you'll notice that this mac n' cheese has an interesting smell.  The five cheese sauce gives it a pungent aroma that while isn't horrible, isn't a bed of cheesy smelling roses.  The noodles are nice and firm.  The taste is pretty light on any very noticible cheesy undertones.  What you really taste is the spices (mostly black peppery) that are mixed in (I think) with the bread crumb topping.  It's quite over powering especially with how underwelming the rest of it tastes. 

Final Score:
This mac requires a bunch of stirring, not only to make, but to eat as well.  After it cooks the cheese sauce quickly solidifies and the little that remains quickly settles to the bottom.  Soon the little sauce that did hang around feels like it's gone away and you're left with a very clumpy meal.  To me the peppery-ness of the breadcrumbs really detracts from the whole thing.  I got very excited for the bread crumbs when I first found this meal, as the nice home recipe versions of mac n' cheese really benefit from that crunch the crumbs provide.  This bowl really doesn't get anything from it.  I had such high hopes for this bowl and I was very let down by it all in the end.

 















Nutritional Information:

Serving Size 1 Entree (101g)  Servings Per Container 1

Calories 380   Calories From Fat 60
Total Fat 7g (11% Daily Value)
Saturated Fat 3.5g (18% DV)
Trans Fat 0g (0% DV)
Cholesterol 20mg (7% DV)
Sodium 1120mg (47% DV)
Total Carbohydrates 64g (21% DV)
Dietary Fiber 2g (8% DV)
Sugar 9g
Protein 17g

2 comments:

  1. I just bought this today. Do you think it would taste better w/out the breadcrumbs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's something I keep telling myself that I should do, and I never do it. I think that the lack of breadcrumbs would end up making the dish less spicy, but won't really solve the low amount of cheese sauce that plagues the bowl. At $2.39 it's not a deal breaker if you try it w/o the crumbs before you put some on and see what works.

      Delete