The goal of this site is to find as many kinds of mac n' cheese as possible and try them so you don't have to! Stove-top, frozen, quick prepare (just add water), home made and anything served in a restaurant are all fair game! If it's name has macaroni n' cheese in it, I'm trying it.

My hope is that this blog will help you discover new varieties to try (and to avoid) or that killer home made recipe that is worth the work to make yourself.

When I'm not collecting video games, I'm eatin' mac n' cheese. Thanks for following me on this journey as I see what it takes to make me bleed cheese.

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Wait... This Isn't Sourdough

It seems that I have this strange ability to be in San Francisco when the local sports franchises are playing in REALLY big games.  Back in 2010, after seeing a foam Brian Wilson beard that had made it's appearance during the NLCS series against the Phillies I decided I had to have it, but couldn't find it online to order.  I had a dentist appointment a few days later and ended up taking the day off to accommodate the appointment.  By the time of my appointment the Giants were in the midst of the World Series and Game 5 was later that evening.  A trip to the Giants dugout store at the ballpark didn't net me a beard, but I came back with World Series themed merchandise.  I didn't stick around the park to see the victory at one of the many bars/restaurants exploding with fans, but they clinched their first title (as the SF Giants) that evening.

What does that have to do with mac n' cheese?  Not a thing!  However, I made my way back to the city and spent most of the day wandering and enjoying the highlights of the city on Superbowl Sunday, when the Niners were looking to make it win number six.  While they didn't win, I hadn't seen so many Niners jerseys in one place ever and despite the beating they were taking early, the fans were incredibly well behaved.  It was a site to behold hearing the entire restaurant or bar I was walking by let out with collective cheers and groans as the game progressed.  One positive of the game going on that day was that the tourist traps of SF were pretty empty.  While wandering, I made my pilgrimage to Boudin's massive bakery/shop/cafe at Pier 41 for some fresh sourdough bread.  While there, I took a gander at the cafe menu for a possible dinner and while I saw some tasty options I decided that a trip upstairs to the fancier Bistro Boudin was in order, especially after I saw that they had multiple mac n' cheese options on their menu.  I had initially planned on getting both mac n' cheeses, but due to the cost of one, I decided that I was going to have to make a second trip for the other option at a later date.  I just couldn't quite go for an evening of mac n' cheese meals that were going to run me over $30, especially when I've had as many backlogged reviews as I currently do and had also had mac n' cheese for lunch too. One was going to have to do.  Hopefully I made a good decision.


The Review

Brand:
Bistro Boudine's Dungeness Crab Mac & Cheese 

Sorry for the blur, this area also doubles as the host/hostess zone and I only had a few seconds to snap the photo before they were back in the shot and wondering what in the hell I was doing.


Price:
$21.50 at Bistro Boudin on the top floor of Boudin's Fisherman's Wharf location at Pier 41

At $21.50 this is the single most expensive mac n' cheese dish I've purchased.
 Also on the menu was the Cheddar "Mac & Cheese" for $7.95


Another time CHEDDAR "MAC & CHEESE".... another time


Packaging Menu Description:
Cheddar cheese, fresh cream and freshly picked Dungeness crab with buttered sourdough bread crumbs.

Preparation:
*Oh look, you're in San Francisco!  Maybe you're here after a show or concert or decided to see the sights and sounds of the city and are downtown-ish and are close to the Embarcadero.  Either way, you've somehow stumbled onto Boudin's massive Bakery at Pier 41.
This is a huge building, complete with flour silo and massive display window to watch the preparation of the bread!
Why is this vent important?  Because Boudin pipes oven air out over everyone who stops and watches the bread makers handle the bread.  The sweet sweet sourdough smell wafting around you comes from here.  Take a few deep breaths before going inside.  Trust me, it's worth it.
 
*Walk into the main entrance and look for the stairway going up.  While there is the cafe and bread store on the opposite side of the stairs, we're here for the mac aren't we?  Start hiking.

Up!
*After making the short climb up the stairs, walk straight ahead to the host/hostess station and request a table for you and your party.  They should seat you shortly.

*Your server will arrive shortly and make sure that you've brought the necessary gold nuggets to pay for the Dungeness mac.

*When I was ordering my food, I asked about any possible differences between the Dungeness crab mac and the side dish Cheddar mac.  The waiter told me that the side dish was just a smaller portion of the same mac, just minus the crab.  I was relieved that I wasn't missing out on a completely different dining option and have yet another reason to head back for more bread and cheese another time.

*If the restaurant isn't very busy your food should be out quickly.  I'd say that I had my mac within 10 minutes of the order being placed and I had a bar full of people watching the Super Bowl and a number of groups at tables also in the restaurant at the same time as me.
I took some time to stare out the window at the lit restaurants across the parking lot from where I was sitting.  The camera flash kills some of the view of some of the restaurants behind Boudin's.

*After having spent some time enjoying your company, the view and the fresh sourdough bread on the table, your server will return with your mac. Make sure your lap is covered with a napkin and you've got your fork in hand.

Though it's a little hard to see in this picture, this thing is teeming with local Dungeness crab. 
Zoom in, C.S.I. style. That's the Crab responsible for the second mortgage!

*Commence with the nomming!


Taste:
With the bowl placed in front of you, you're treated to a nice aroma of cheese and crab.  The pasta was almost perfectly cooked and just a hair al dente. The noodles were shell noodles that were mostly flat and didn't hold that shell shape.  The sauce was very cheesy and it had a mild sharp Cheddar taste. The Dungeness crab was generously spread through out the dish and the crab itself had a very nice buttery taste.  If you didn't pick out a piece of the crab meat, you'd almost not have noticed that it was there, with the meat being chewy just like the noodles and the taste not being 'fishy' at all. The top of the mac was coated with a good dusting of bread crumbs giving it a nice crunch.

Final Score:
OM NOM NOM.  I went into this review quite unsure, worried that I was going to burn $21.50 on what would end up being a very mediocre mac overpriced because of the addition of the crab and because the restaurant was in the heart of one of San Francisco's tourist traps.  While I'm sure the price was high because of where the restaurant is and because of the inclusion of local Dungeness crab, after just one bite were my fears on the mac itself were blown out of the water.  Outside of homeroom, this has been bar none, the best mac I've reviewed for this blog and honestly, I'd put this above homeroom's classic and smokey bacon macs (with their Vermont sharp Cheddar holding equal with the crab).  With an excellent cheesy sauce, great tasting buttery crab and a nice crunch, I would be glad to go back to SF just for another bowl of this. It was just that great. 










Nutritional Information:
This thing is bursting with cheese and real cream.  I'm sure it's horrible for you, but if you're smart you've been walking all day and still have a bunch of walking to get you back to BART or your hotel room in another part of the city to help minimize the damage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment