The goal of this site is to find as many kinds of mac n' cheese as possible and try them so you don't have to! Stove-top, frozen, quick prepare (just add water), home made and anything served in a restaurant are all fair game! If it's name has macaroni n' cheese in it, I'm trying it.

My hope is that this blog will help you discover new varieties to try (and to avoid) or that killer home made recipe that is worth the work to make yourself.

When I'm not collecting video games, I'm eatin' mac n' cheese. Thanks for following me on this journey as I see what it takes to make me bleed cheese.

Friday, November 9, 2012

I Went In For A Cheeseburger, I Came Out With Mac

So I just hit five years of employment at my current job.  I decided that eating a just add water cup of mac n' cheese, or the standard backup turkey sandwich just wasn't going to cut it for this anniversary.  Leaving a bit late for a standard lunch hour, I decided that Fuddruckers across the street from the office would do.  A nice burger and some sweet potato fries (a current vice) were my lunch plans.  What I didn't know was that as I stared at the menu trying to decide on the kind of burger that I have, that I would discover they also served mac n' cheese.  Karma.


The Review

Brand:
Fuddrucker's Macaroni & Cheese

Now if this sign said worlds greatest mac n' cheese my mind may explode.


Price:
$2.00
I'd like an order of sweet potato fries please.  Oh, and toss in one of those mac & cheese sides you're famous for.
Packaging Description:
N/A
Preparation:
*Oh look, you've wandered into a Fuddruckers after a long days work for an all American meal.  Keep walking past the sweet shop that has ice cream and fresh baked cookies cleverly located next to the front door (those are for dessert!) and get yourself into the main line to order your meal.

*After you've ordered a burger/combo meal (try the Elk if they've got it, though the Kobe beef is supposed to be excellent as well) order a side of mac to go with it.

*Find a place to sit and wait for them to call your name.  While waiting, now is the time to go and get utensils, your ketchup (blech) and cheese sauce ready for your fries/burgers, and use their very fancy you choose your flavor Coke machine.

 *So you just heard your name called.  Get up there and get your food!
As the placed my burger on the counter, I got up to get it and watched the guy who gets the order together open that metal tray on the left and scoop out the chili for another order, next to it was a container that said mac & cheese.  Sorry for the small picture, but asking to take pictures of food being served gets you weird looks, so this was done on the fly as I left. 
 *Find your way back to your table and bust out the fork.
Lookin' good cheeseburger shop!

*Commence with the nomming!
 
Taste:
The smell of the mac n' cheese was lost among the other smells on my table.  A fresh turkey burger and sweet potato fries masked any smell the mac might have been giving off.  The top of the dish had a few spots that made it look like it had just come out from under a salamander or oven coil.  My first bite introduced me to incredibly overcooked noodles. They practically dissolved in my mouth.  The cheese sauce while somewhat cheesy, tasted a bit artificial.  It reminded me of a previous mac, but I can't place which one (but I keep thinking the Chef Boyardee cup was pretty similar).

Final Score:
I guess it's good I go to a burger place for a burger and not mac n' cheese.  While it would have been a nice surprise if they had a great mac n' cheese, I'm not surprised that they didn't.  It probably came from a can, which is why it's noodles were so overcooked and it had such an artificial taste.  Do yourself a favor and save on the calories this would add to your tummy and enjoy those sweet potato fries instead.










Nutritional Information:
The sign shown above lists the mac at either 340 or 433 calories.  I'm not sure which, but I'm guessing that it's the 433.

No comments:

Post a Comment