The goal of this site is to find as many kinds of mac n' cheese as possible and try them so you don't have to! Stove-top, frozen, quick prepare (just add water), home made and anything served in a restaurant are all fair game! If it's name has macaroni n' cheese in it, I'm trying it.

My hope is that this blog will help you discover new varieties to try (and to avoid) or that killer home made recipe that is worth the work to make yourself.

When I'm not collecting video games, I'm eatin' mac n' cheese. Thanks for following me on this journey as I see what it takes to make me bleed cheese.

Monday, November 5, 2012

Bad Day? Just Add Cheese!

I sure wouldn't have thought that the preparation of a frozen meal would become an issue to me, but it has.  Looking on the back of these boxes for my preparation instructions I often see directions for the microwave and the oven.  What is the best way to make it I keep asking myself.  Am I hindering the blog because I didn't make it the 'right' way?  From past experience, cooking frozen meals (doesn't matter the kind) in the oven almost always gives me a better dish than what the microwave puts out.  My problem is that though I have a toaster oven at work, it's not easy to make sure that I don't burn the meal, or that the heat is that accurate for the duration that the packaging requires for cooking.  For some reason I felt that with the Blake's meal I should give the ol' toaster oven a try. 


The Review

Brand:
Blake's Farmhouse Mac & Cheese
Why is it that all the best hearty meals come from a farm?  Mac n' cheese, biscuits and gravy, chicken fried steak, pot pies?




Price:
$2.79 at Whole Foods

Packaging Description:
(On Front)
Made with Organic pasta with a breadcrumb topping.

(On Back)
BAD DAY? JUST ADD CHEESE.
We believe cheese can save the world. Add cheese to any bad day and it instantly becomes better. Our Farmhouse Macaroni & Cheese starts with the perfect blend of cheddar cheese and organic pasta, then we finish it off with a delicious breadcrumb topping. We’ve been using this heirloom family recipe to feed our family for four generations and it always makes a good day even better. Enjoy!

Preparation:

*Remove the tray from the box.
Last chance Steve, oven or microwave... the fate of humanity's love of mac n' cheese rests in your hands.

*When preparing a Blake's meal via microwave, you need to leave the plastic film on the tray.  For oven cooking you need to remove it.
As you can see, I'm going the oven route.  I hope I know what I'm doing.
*Preheat the oven to  and place it in and cook for

You do your thing toaster oven.
*The toaster oven began to well... toast the top a bit too much, a bit too quickly.  I removed it from the oven, recovered it with plastic wrap and then cooked it for in the microwave for three minutes.
After a few minutes, the oven began to burn the bread crumbs and there wasn't any way it would survive the cook time prescribed so I took it out.

*Remove the tray from the oven/microwave and let it sit for a few minutes.
*Commence with the nomming!

Taste:
Initially out of the toaster oven I got a whiff of burning bread.  Once I removed it from the microwave I was greeted with a cheesy smell.  The noodles were firm and cooked, while the sauce had a mild Cheddar taste (that wasn't very strong at that).  The bread crumbs had no real flavor, and were really just there for their crunchy texture.

Final Score:
I'm glad that I tried the toaster oven route.  Doing what I did actually crisped up the top nicely and it didn't lose that crunch after I microwaved the rest of the meal.  I wish that the meal had a stronger cheesy taste to it.  That lack of cheesy oomph is what did the meal in.  In the future I'm going to give another meal a shot in the toaster oven and see if I can actually cook it "oven proper".  If I can, I'll try to use the oven for the meals that are recommended they are prepared that way.  If not, i'll keep up with the microwave method that i'm sure a vast majority of everyone who eats every one of these brands and varieties that I am sampling do with each and every meal.










Nutritional Information:
Serving Size 8oz (227g)
Servings Per Container 1

Calories 370  From Fat 160
Total Fat 18g  (27% Daily Value)
Saturated Fat 5g  (27% DV)
Trans Fat 0g 
Cholesterol 50mg  (17% DV)
Sodium 480mg (20% DV)
Total Carbohydrates 45g (15% DV)
Dietary Fiber 4g (16% DV)
Sugar 0g
Protein 7g

No comments:

Post a Comment