The goal of this site is to find as many kinds of mac n' cheese as possible and try them so you don't have to! Stove-top, frozen, quick prepare (just add water), home made and anything served in a restaurant are all fair game! If it's name has macaroni n' cheese in it, I'm trying it.

My hope is that this blog will help you discover new varieties to try (and to avoid) or that killer home made recipe that is worth the work to make yourself.

When I'm not collecting video games, I'm eatin' mac n' cheese. Thanks for following me on this journey as I see what it takes to make me bleed cheese.

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Happiest Hot Dog On Earth

I went on a mini vacation last fall. While on this vacation I swung by both Knott's Berry Farm and Disneyland and discovered that they had some work for me to do while I was there for play.

I have for years always made it a point to stop at one restaurant in the park because they serve one of my favorite foods (that's not Mac n' cheese) the Mickey Mouse soft pretzel.  While these pretzels are located in carts and other places around the park, I've always made sure that I get one (at a time, on the hour <_< ) from the Coca-Cola Refreshment Corner located at the end of Main St.

Imagine how surprised I was that making my first trip back to the park in years and finding that they've added a special hot dog just for me.  I just had to add it to one to one of my soft pretzel orders.


The Review


Yup, still here!


Brand:
Mac & Cheese Hot Dog at the Coca-Cola Refreshment Corner

Can't miss the stained glass fixture just above the entrance.



Price:
$7.69 at the Coca-Cola Refreshment Corner

Don't forget to order your "Mickey Mouse" pretzel!

Packaging Menu Description:
Hot Dog Baskets
Features a Premium Hot Dog
Includes sliced apples or small bag of chips

Topped with bacon bits

Preparation:
*Find a way to or still be in Disneyland.  Avoid an additional entry gate fee if at all possible and make it one of your meals during the day. No special trips necessary!
I don't know who you are mom and daughter, but welcome to the blog!

*Since the Coca Cola Refreshment Corner is located at the end of Main St. (on the left side), you need to find your way down to it.  You've got a few modes of possible transportation:


You could hop on the horse drawn carriage to take you down the street...

Or one of the many automobiles (yes, the keen observer will note that both the horse drawn carriage and the fire car are driving back towards the front of the park, away from our destination, but work with me here!)
*Upon arrival, you've got multiple entrances to choose from.  The street facing option is the easiest to get into, though the entrance that feeds into the outdoor eating area is often where you'll end up, as the lines inside the restaurant feed straight back towards that entrance/exit.

And we're here!
*Stand in line until it's your turn to order.  Like most places in the park, you'll want just a few minutes at the counter for someone to bring you your order.  While you're here for the mac & cheese hot dog, don't forget to order a Mickey Mouse soft pretzel too!

*Depending on how busy it may be, if you've got other people with you, it may be smart to send them outside to find a nice table to sit at.  There is no inside seating at the Coca Cola Refreshment Corner and it can be quite busy outside depending on the season.

*If you're lucky when you step outside with your food, you'll be greeted with one of the Barbershop Quartets who perform a few times through out the day at the Corner.  The primary group, The Dapper Dans have been performing outside the restaurant for as long as I can remember.
Everything they do is live.  No canned music or singing. They joke with the crowd and are all incredibly nice. They're a real treat to accidentally stumble into.

* Grab your utensils and get some napkins ready.  This could will get messy.


Astute observers will note that the bun is far too small to support a hotdog with as much length and stuff on it as this one has.

Smart money says no one will care that you're using a fork an knife.  *Bonus* You can't tell it from this, but that bag at the back of the picture has a Mickey Mouse pretzel just waiting for dessert.
*Commence with the nomming!


Taste:
Upon first whiff, you're greeted with a cheesy hotdog smell with the slightest hint of bacon.  The bacon was firm and of the variety that you'd find on a baked potato or on a salad (so not crunchy). The hotdog tasted like, well, a hotdog.  The bun was a typical hotdog bun which means it's really just a basic vessel to not get your hands coated with the fixings on the hotdog. The mac had very overcooked noodles and was cheesy, though it was of an indeterminable cheese variety, but they created a very good pairing with the bacon and hotdog flavors. 

Final Score:
If the mac looks somewhat familiar, that's because it fit the exact same characteristics of the kid mac n' cheese I had at the Tomorrowland Terrace and I can only assume that it's actually the one and same.  While the overcooked noodles didn't do much for me when the mac was a stand alone meal, adding a hotdog to the mix along with bacon bits and I had a much nicer treat.  You'll want to use the fork and knife.  That poor bun just couldn't survive the extra weight from the mac and it just fell right back onto the paper covered basket when I picked it up.  I didn't polish off the whole thing because I had a pretzel waiting for me, but if you do, you're sure to give your tummy a food baby.  It's a very dense and heavy meal.












Nutritional Information:
Like I discovered with the kid's mac I got at Tomorrowland Terrace, there was no posted nutritional information and you'll have to contact the park directly and ask for it from them.  

2 comments:

  1. I'll definately have to get this for the kids next time we go. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete