The goal of this site is to find as many kinds of mac n' cheese as possible and try them so you don't have to! Stove-top, frozen, quick prepare (just add water), home made and anything served in a restaurant are all fair game! If it's name has macaroni n' cheese in it, I'm trying it.

My hope is that this blog will help you discover new varieties to try (and to avoid) or that killer home made recipe that is worth the work to make yourself.

When I'm not collecting video games, I'm eatin' mac n' cheese. Thanks for following me on this journey as I see what it takes to make me bleed cheese.

Friday, September 6, 2013

Mother Approved, But Kid Tested?

I've reviewed a number meals marketed for/to kids.  So far, meals made by mom, promoted by Elmo and ones that have include brownies haven't really been something that any kid should be eating (based on taste alone and not even factoring in 'nutritional value').  In yet another regular walk through the frozen section of the local grocery store I saw that a new line of meals had appeared, aimed at kids.  There were only three options, all of which were pasta dishes but one was a mac. Another instant purchase as I tossed it into the basket handles my arms were wrapped around.

I didn't look at the packaging beyond the picture on the front, as I really didn't want to know about hidden veggies or anything else that may make me skew my opinion before I put this up against any other kids macs I've already reviewed.  So I just tossed it in the freezer and did my best to ignore it until it was time to heat it up.

They had a customer, I just needed to find a good time to eat and review the darn thing, which thanks to it being freezer ready was just a week or two later.


The Review

Brand:
Kidfresh Wagon Wheels Mac + Cheese

Packed with goodness AND hidden stuff. Oh boy!


Price:
$3.90 at Safeway

Packaging Description:
(On Front)
pasta with creamy cheddar and mozzarella cheese
All Natural* | Good Source of Protein | No Artificial Flavors, Colors or Preservatives
Packed with Goodness! With HIDDEN veggies!
*No Artificial Ingredients

(On Back)
Goodness for kids is what we are all about
Kids' meals these days... a lot of them are downright scary. That's because they are often loaded with all sorts of artificial ingredients that we can't even pronounce!
As a father myself, I decided that we needed more options for all natural kids meals-the kind that are yummy and nutritious for children while affordable and convenient for parents. We did just that, in a real kitchen, with the help of a top chef and a pediatric nutritionist. The result is Kidfresh: a twist on children's favorites made with real vegetables, grains and proteins. Like our Mac and Cheese, prepared with a traditional recipe and hidden carrots in the cheese sauce. They will love it!

Packed with Goodness
Simply nutritious...
*Hidden Veggies
*Good Source of Protein
*Good Source of Vitamin A and Calcium
*0g Trans Fat
*No Artificial Flavors, Colors or Preservatives

Made with real ingredients...
*Wagon Wheel Pasta
*Cheese
*Milk
*Carrots

Fresh-Frozen Goodness
Freshness is one of the best ways to preserve nutrients and flavors while extending the shelf life of food. That's why Kidfresh meals are frozen immediately after being cooked so that they keep all the good stuff for a long time.

Preparation:

*Remove the bowl from the box and peel back a corner of the plastic film.
Pasta. Cheese sauce and shredded cheese? Looks like a promising start to a mac.
*Place in the microwave and cook for two to three minutes. As I always do, I split the difference and cooked it for 2:30.

While it looks like some of the cheese sauce has gone and escaped the plastic film, I can safely say it's contained under it's protective shield.

*Remove the plastic film.

Noodles and melty cheese.  The mac of my youth!
*Stir it up and let it cool for one to two minutes.

/me sings 'All stirred up' * to the tune of Elvis's 'All Shook Up'*

*Commence with the nomming!

Taste:
Out of the microwave I had a mild cheesy/Cheddar aroma coming from the bowl. The noodles were firm and cooked just past al dente.  The sauce was cheesy and had a very cheddar like flavor without any hint of any vegetables.  The texture of the sauce, while stringy giving it a very melted cheese look and feel was lacking in quantity, leaving many noodles barely covered or outright missing out on the cheese sauce.


Final Score:
I was strangely conflicted with this bowl.  While I didn't notice any hidden veggie taste, I couldn't help but notice the lack of cheese to go with the mac.  One doesn't expect (though some prefer) to have their pasta swimming in cheese sauce, but I think I can safely say that having noodles completely lacking in sauce is a bad thing for any mac n' cheese.  I will commend Kidfresh on sneaking carrots into the cheese sauce and not having a single clue they were in there.  Without question, this has been by far the best tasting kids mac I've tried so far, I just wish there was a bit more sauce to fill out the bowl.













Nutritional Information:
Serving Size 1 Entrée (180g)
Servings Per Container 1

Calories 270
Calories From Fat 80
Total Fat 9g (14% Daily Value)
Saturated Fat 5g (25% DV)
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 25mg (8% DV)
Sodium 340mg (14% DV)
Total Carbohydrates 35g (12% DV)
Dietary Fiber 4g (16% DV)
Sugars 0g
Protein 12g

No comments:

Post a Comment