The goal of this site is to find as many kinds of mac n' cheese as possible and try them so you don't have to! Stove-top, frozen, quick prepare (just add water), home made and anything served in a restaurant are all fair game! If it's name has macaroni n' cheese in it, I'm trying it.

My hope is that this blog will help you discover new varieties to try (and to avoid) or that killer home made recipe that is worth the work to make yourself.

When I'm not collecting video games, I'm eatin' mac n' cheese. Thanks for following me on this journey as I see what it takes to make me bleed cheese.

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Hot N' Ready

My never ending adventures for mac n' cheese has taken me all over, had me scouring store and restaurant alike for any sign of a new bowl of golden goodness.  My biggest concern (if I could really call it that) is how long will I be able to find any kind of mac that I may run across.  Brands die off, stores stop carrying something that doesn't sell or I may see something that is only a regional or chain specific item.  

This uncertainty has me buying like a mad man, building up a stock of mac that has spread it's way across the home and work, in pantries and freezers all because of a meal that I had let pass back before I started the blog.  A meal that I would expect to see because everything else in that was in that grocery store hot case has been prepared fresh daily since... except that.

Swinging by a semi-local Safeway grocery store to get deli sandwiches before some adventures on a Saturday, amazingly, to my left was that white golden whale.  While I didn't grab it at 9 AM when I was getting sandwiches, I had a good feeling that it would still be there in the afternoon... and I swung back by hoping to scratch another mac off my list.


The Review

Brand:
Safeway Signature (hot case) Macaroni and Cheese
While here in California it's Safeway, in other parts of the country you'll find yourself at Dominicks, Vons, Tom Thumbs among other regional chains.



Price:
$1.52 at Safeway (per lb price is $2.99)

Packaging Description:
N/A

Preparation:
*Like myself, you have once again found yourself at the grocery store, looking for mac, maybe buying some bacon or grabbing a sandwich at the deli department before you go on an adventure.

*Feeling lucky you check the hot counter portion of the deli and behold, mac!  
This is actually a pretty rare sight.   Since this blog has started I've seen it in local Safeway a total of 2 times and I often pass by the deli department just in case. Your store may have it regularly, none in my area seem to.
 *Wait your turn in line to be served.  Once it's your turn, pick a container size and let the deli department employee know how much you'd like.  Remember it's by weight and mac n' cheese isn't a light product.  Order carefully.
Well the spoon has been moved and the bottom of the tray is visible. That can only mean that I've got some mac in a cup!
*Take your container of mac (and any other items that need purchasing) to a cash register, pay for them and head out on your way. 
 
*Depending on your Safeway, you can take it to a table in the store (if they've got a Starbucks), or to an outside table.  Or if you really feel unable to wait to make it home, you can always dig into it in your car. 
And I am digging into this in my car...in my defense I was heading somewhere else and I didn't know if or when I was going to see this in another hot case so this impulse buy won out .
* Remove the lid, get a utensil of your choice (You can never go wrong with a spork).  I took a spoon from their self serve soup section.
After sitting in that warming tray for who knows how long, it doesn't actually look bad.
*Making sure that your vehicle is safely parked and not moving, dig that spoon/fork into the container.
Here comes the airplane!
*Commence with the nomming!

Taste:
When standing in front of the deli counter you can't smell it at all.  You may be getting a nice whiff of rotisserie or fried chicken, but that mac is behind glass.  After you get your container and pop it open, you're greeted with a smell that reminded me of a generally nondescript noodle and cheese combo.  The sauce had a thick texture but it wasn't one that was gritty or stuck to my teeth.  It did however had a very oily taste to it.  The elbow noodles were a bit over cooked, but any portion that was touching the side of the tray was firmer and somewhat crunchy. While the cup had a Cheddar flavor, it was really overpowered by what became an overwhelming oily aftertaste.

Final Score:
I think I found out why I never seem to find it in any local grocery stores.  This really wasn't very good.  I don't think that this sold so well that it was replaced through out the day either.  While I'm sure Safeway adheres to all local and federal food safety laws, I couldn't help but wonder how long this sat in the warming tray.  If I had gotten to it earlier, if it would have somehow been better I wondered to myself.  Alas, I tested it when I did and can only report on it's state as I experienced it.  Save yourself the trouble and get their microwaveable mac that is in a fridge case next to the rotisserie chickens, it's a much better choice.











Nutritional Information:
No nutritional information for this was posted in the store.  I didn't think to ask if they had anything available to give me.  There also wasn't anything available online on Safeway's website either.

No comments:

Post a Comment