The goal of this site is to find as many kinds of mac n' cheese as possible and try them so you don't have to! Stove-top, frozen, quick prepare (just add water), home made and anything served in a restaurant are all fair game! If it's name has macaroni n' cheese in it, I'm trying it.

My hope is that this blog will help you discover new varieties to try (and to avoid) or that killer home made recipe that is worth the work to make yourself.

When I'm not collecting video games, I'm eatin' mac n' cheese. Thanks for following me on this journey as I see what it takes to make me bleed cheese.

Friday, February 15, 2013

Back to homeroom

I think if you've read many of my posts, you'll have discovered (like I have) that consistently the best mac's I've reviewed have all been 'homestyle' macs. The freshness and quality of the ingredients, how they are prepared really highlights everything about them and how much fresh ingredients really trump packaged or previously prepared meals that are made on the stove or in your microwave. These other meals may not be bad, but they aren't the same and that's a big deal.

When i visited homeroom a few months back, we all had a great time when we took over a good portion of the communal table for our lunch.  We had really tasty food and we started to talk about making a return trip.  I knew I had left a number of options untried on their menu, including a few spicy and more adventerous dishes that wouldn't normally be up my alley. But I'm doing this blog for those 15 daily readers damn it and I can't let them down so I was more than game to head back. 

My friends and I finally all had a availability and another Saturday afternoon trip was scheduled back in the beginning of December. 

To my surprise the menu had changed (hello winter menu! which included a spicy Sriracha Mac, a Smokey Bacon Mac and a Truffle Mac that has real truffles in it and costs $15 bucks!) and some of those yet to try options were gone (darn, no Feta mac), but they had added the above new ones in their place.

While most of the party enjoyed what they had last trip, I made sure to try a new dish and this one was an easy choice.  It had bacon!


The Review

Brand:
homeroom's Smokey Bacon Mac


We're back!



Packaging Menu Description:
Rich and bold with smoked cheddar, jack cheese and bacon.

Price:
$ 8.95

Preparation:
*Get thee back to homeroom while the winter menu is available.  Which means now. Why are you still here, unless you're reading this on your mobile device and are already on your way.

*Order your mac (with bacon!)

*Let the pro's in the kitchen whip up your food while you have some good conversation with those at your table.  We made paper cranes while we waited for our meals to come out.  They were pretty awesome cranes.

*Raise your hand when the server brings up your order so that someone else at the table doesn't regret their baconless order and try to swipe it from you.

Trust me, there's bacon in that thar mac!



*Commence with the nomming!


Taste:
The restaurant smells of cheesy goodness, so until your bowl is right in front of you don't smell your specific meal.  Once it had been placed in front of me, I did smell the bacon.  Well, I thought I smelled the bacon, my dish was actually on the other side of the table and I got a friends mac.  I didn't notice it wasn't right (and was actually a garlic mac) until they said something.  Once I did get my bowl, I was greeted with a sauce that was creamy and had a distinct Monterey Jack taste.  You could taste the bacon through out the dish, even when there wasn't bacon in your forkfull.  Fortunately the bacon taste was subtle and didn't over power the dish.  The breadcrumbs were crispy and gave the top a nice crunch.  The bacon itself had the look of undercooked bacon (very soft) but tasted very good.


Final Score:
Another great mac.  Personally I'm a fan of crunchy bacon.  I am not a fan of bacon that has that limp/undercooked feel to it.  While it may be properly cooked, I just feel that this needed to be cooked more for the dish to really hit it out of the park.  Hopefully they make this a full time menu option.  










Nutritional Information:
As I had previously mentioned, all the mac's made at homeroom are prepared with excellent ingredients.  This will be a high calorie meal, full of fat, salt and the other stuff that is best enjoyed in moderation.  If I can make this two meals, so can you.

No comments:

Post a Comment