The goal of this site is to find as many kinds of mac n' cheese as possible and try them so you don't have to! Stove-top, frozen, quick prepare (just add water), home made and anything served in a restaurant are all fair game! If it's name has macaroni n' cheese in it, I'm trying it.

My hope is that this blog will help you discover new varieties to try (and to avoid) or that killer home made recipe that is worth the work to make yourself.

When I'm not collecting video games, I'm eatin' mac n' cheese. Thanks for following me on this journey as I see what it takes to make me bleed cheese.

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Zappin' Cheese

I appreciate companies that try (even Amy's Kitchen) and put out multiple kinds of mac n' cheese.  One would think that 'A' kind is more than enough, but you know that one is really never enough.  Variety is the spice of life and Michelina's sure likes to dabble with the best spice (cheese).  They've done Wheels and they've done a combination of cheeses.  Now they take on the 'classic' of classics, the Kraft style stove top. 

The Review

Brand:
Michelina's Zap 'ems Gourmet: Homestyle Macaroni & Cheese
If homestyle means a frozen version of the Kraft blue box then we're onto something.

Michelina's new packaging, or another new variety?  Picture taken at a local Target.  I didn't notice this until after I put the pictures of both packages together, that this one is different.  I'll head back and do a ingredient/calorie check to see how different it is and will do an additional review if there are changes beyond the noodles. 

**additional note** Since I took this pic just over a month ago, I've only found this in Target locations, twice. I broke down and bought one.  A review will be forthcoming. 


Price:
$1.00 at Lucky's

Packaging Description:
(On Front)
homestyle macaroni & cheese

(On Back)
These products are dedicated to my mother, Michelina, who used only the finest ingredients when preparing her homemade sauces, pasta, and rice dishes. Don't let the low price fool you. I guarantee you'll like this product as much as or more than any similar product at even double our price. I wouldn't sell a product with my mother's name on it unless it was good and the best value.

Preparation:
*Buy this meal.  (I've done 40+ of these and never have I said to buy the meal.  I don't condone shoplifting.  Pay for your mac!)
*Peel up that pesky corner
God how I hate these corners.  I actually got wise and used a knife to split it open after spending two minutes getting nowhere with my nails and teeth.
*Put in the microwave and cook for 3 1/2 minutes.
*Once it's cooked, remove from the microwave, peel back the cover and proceed to mix.
Noodles to the left...
OCD tendencies lessening.
*Put the cover back down as best you can and put back into the microwave and cook for an additional one minute and thirty seconds.
*Let the meal sit in the microwave (something I never seem to do) or on the counter (something I always seem to do) for a minute to cool down.  Remember, this paper tray anywhere but the edges will be quite hot.
Looks like it could use some extra cheese...
*Give that mac another mix.
I only use plastic forks because at the office for whatever reason over half the office flatware forks has gone missing.  Did YOU steal our forks?  **points at readers**
*Commence with the nomming!

Taste:
Out of the microwave the first round I smelled somewhat cooked noodles thanks to the separated noodles and cheese.  After it was pulled out the second time, it smelled like a cheesy meal one would expect.  Initial success!  The noodles were cooked and tender. The cheese had a distinctly American cheese flavor to it.  The taste of the meal was very inconsistant however.  Some parts were cheesy, others only had the slightest hint of cheese.  Unfortunately, more of the meal was missing it's cheesy taste than it was flaunting it about like a good mac does. 

Final Score:
Michelina's has gone and tried to create the frozen version of the American classic stove top mac n' cheese.  They just forgot to put all the cheese in.  Since Michelina's target is food for the cost, it's understandable.  They've got a good start, but for just a few additional cents worth of ingredients I'm sure this would be rated higher.  











Nutritional Information:
Serving Size 1 Package (213g)

Calories  290  Calories From Fat 90
Total Fat 10g (15% Daily Value)
Saturated Fat 4g (20% DV)
Trans Fat 0g (0% DV) 
Cholesterol 20mg (7% DV)
Sodium 580mg (24% DV)
Total Carbohydrates 40g (13% DV)
Dietary Fiber 2g (8% DV)
Sugar 3g
Protein 9g

No comments:

Post a Comment